Previous Post
Archives
Are you dancing??
Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I've always loved dancing. I wanted to be a ballerina but in my itinerant RAF childhood there were never any classes I could go to - and anyway they were only for officers' kids. Bleat, the injustice, blah blah - I doubt if I could have managed the anorexia. This didn't stop me dancing by myself, a habit I have retained into the dotage. Plus I took classes later - in ballroom, latin american, and modern dance, then more recently in salsa and swing. It's all good, as they say. But when were the best dance times? A manic music mad teenager dancing at rag raves in Leicester, much too young to be out, to The Who, Geno Washington, The Animals, to Motown and Soul at the all night gigs held in sweaty clubs like the Burlesque, chemically enhanced. So many gigs through the 70s - progging out to 10 Years After or drifting to the Third Ear Band and Kevin Ayres, rocking against racism to Aswad and Misty. Then the pogoing to punk and shoe gazing to the Smiths. All that Talking Heads and Modern Dance Bowie, township music, new age trance. I've even danced the techno. But tomorrow night I will be dancing, even if nobody is asking, to all the above at the Forum in Darlington, music provided by a series of playlists and a mighty iPod. Me and my handbag.
5:14 AM  

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home